HISTORICAL OUTLINE OF THE MCCJ NORTH AMERICAN PROVINCE (NAP)
**Dates in parentheses indicate the year in which a term of office ended; a parish was closed or handed back, etc.**
1939 Fr. Edward Mason arrives in the U.S.A. to look for place to open community.
1940 Frs. Hamlet Accorsi and Dominic Ferrara arrive and assume charge of Holy Trinity Parish, Cincinnati, Ohio (1958).
1945 Fr. Hamlet Accorsi takes charge of St. Henry’s Parish, Cincinnati, Ohio (1971).
1946 Arrival of a group of Comboni Missionaries.
1947 8108 Beechmont Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio, is acquired. First group of scholastics arrives.
1948 Parish of Santa Isabel, California is accepted (1984). Parish of Mission San Antonio de Pala, California, is accepted (1991).
1949 Novitiate opens at West Harrison, Ohio (1950). West wing of Sacred Heart Seminary High School, Cincinnati, Ohio, is completed (1968).
1950 Fr. Julius Rizzi is appointed first Provincial (1953). Property in Monroe, Michigan is acquired (1986).
1951 Novitiate is transferred to Beechmont Avenue (1952).
1952 Parish of St. Michael, Louisville, Kentucky, is accepted (1958). Novitiate is transferred to Monroe, Michigan (1968).
1953 Parish of Immaculate Heart of Mary, Louisville, Kentucky, is founded (1971). Fr. Hamlet Accorsi is appointed Provincial (1959).
1954 Parish of St. Joseph at Washington, Georgia, is accepted (1970).
1955 Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Hermosa Beach, California, is accepted (1957). Residence on Suire Avenue, Cincinnati, is acquired (1964).
1956 Mission center in Montclair, New Jersey, is opened. St. Mary’s Parish, Toccoa, Georgia, is accepted (1964).
1957 Parish of Our Lady of Guadalupe, Irwindale, California, is accepted (1977).
1958 St. Anthony’s Parish, Cincinnati, is accepted (1962).
1959 Fr. Anthony Todesco is appointed Provincial (1969).
1960 Community established near Yorkville, Illinois (1981).
1961 The Scholasticate is transferred to the campus of the University of San Diego, California (1968).
1962 Parish of St. Thomas More, St. Jean, Quebec, is accepted – the first foundation in Canada (1970)
1963 Property near Columbia, New Jersey, is acquired (1978). Parish of St. Michael’s, Cincinnati, Ohio, is accepted (1992).
1966 Community at Brossard, Quebec, is established (1987).
1968 The Scholasticate is transferred from San Diego, California, to Cincinnati, Ohio (1972). The Novitiate (1971) and College (1979) are transferred from Monroe, Michigan, to Cincinnati, Ohio. The High School Seminary is transferred to Monroe, Michigan (1985).
1969 Fr. Sergio Contran is elected Provincial (1975).
1970 Holy Cross Parish, Los Angeles, is accepted. Good Shepherd Parish, Brossard, Quebec, is accepted (1986).
1971 St. Pius Parish, Cincinnati, Ohio, is accepted (1993).
1974 Novitiate is reopened in Yorkville, Illinois (1977).
1975 Fr. Charles Busetti is elected Provincial (1979).
1976 International Scholasticate is established at Hyde Park, Chicago, Illinois.
1977 The parish of St. Albert the Great, Compton, California, is accepted (6/30/1997). Novitiate is transferred to Compton, California (1978). Mission center is established at Glendora, California; closed in 1980 and later transferred to St. Albert the Great Parish (1991).
1978 Mission center near Cambridge, Ontario, is established (1985).
1979 House in Monroe, Michigan, burns and is rebuilt (1986). College residence is transferred from Beechmont Avenue to St. Michael’s Parish, Cincinnati, Ohio (Comboni House) (1988). Provincial offices transferred from St. Michael Parish to Beechmont Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio.
1980 Fr. Charles Walter takes office as Provincial (1986).
1981 Casa Comboni, Los Angeles, opens (1987). Mission Center, Yorkville, Illinois, is transferred to Hyde Park, Chicago (1985).
1982 Residence for Postulancy opened in Chicago in quarters rented from the Xaverian Fathers (1983). Property purchased at Williamstown Lake, Kentucky.
1983 Novitiate reopened at Holy Cross Parish, Los Angeles (1985). St. Vitus Parish, Chicago, is accepted (1990).
1984 Pre-Postulancy rented in Waterloo, Ontario (1985).
1985 Promotion center moved from the Scholasticate to a purchased convent in La Grange Park, Illinois. Promotion center moved from Cambridge, Ontario, to a rented convent in Kitchener, Ontario.
1986 Postulancy reopens at La Grange Park (1992).
1987 Fr. Brian Quigley takes office as Provincial (1992). Casa Comboni is transferred from Los Angeles to a rented convent in Pasadena, California (1990). Novitiate reopens at the former Casa Comboni residence in Los Angeles (1988).
1988 Novitiate is transferred to the former Comboni House, located at St. Michael’s Parish, Cincinnati, Ohio (June 30, 1992). Property purchased for a promotion center in Monroe, Michigan (sold June 30, 1995).
1990 Casa Comboni is transferred to a purchased property in Azusa, California.
1991 Mission promotion center opened in a purchased property in Covina, California. St. Donatus Parish in Blue Island, Illinois and Seven Holy Founders Parish in Calumet Park, Illinois are accepted.
1992 Postulancy reopens in St. Donatus convent, Blue Island, Illinois (Suspended 1994).
7/2/1992 The new Provincial Directory is approved for a period of three years and promulgated.
1993 The Comboni Lay Missionary Association is established and the La Grange Park Community opens the doors to the Comboni Lay Missionary Program Orientation Course.
1/1/1993 Fr. John Converset takes office as Provincial (1998).
1994 The first group of Comboni Lay Missionaries is commissioned to serve in Kenya and Uganda. An Office for Justice and Peace is established in Cincinnati, Ohio.
1/19/1996 Sr. Roseanne White, osu officially starts to serve as provincial Finance Director.
7/1/1997 A pastoral team for the cluster parishes of St. Cecilia and Holy Cross is established in agreement with the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. The Comboni Missionaries consider it one community.
8/10/1998 Seven Holy Founders Church in Calumet Park, Illinois welcomes its first Comboni pastor out of the St. Donatus’ community.
12/18/1998 The MCCJ accept a ministry among the Latino population of the Archdiocese of Cincinnati.
1/1/1999 Fr. Dennis Conway takes office as Provincial.
1999 Postulancy reopens at Casa Comboni, Azusa, California. “Defining Mission - Comboni Missionaries in North America...” authored by Dr. Patricia Durchholz, is published.
2001 Hispanic ministry begins at St. Charles Borromeo church, Cincinnati, OH
2002 Peace Corner in Chicago, Illinois is established to minister to inner-city youth.
2003 Casa Comboni, Azusa, California is closed.
2005 Fr Louie Gasparini takes office as Provincial.
2005 Seven Holy Founders Parish in Calumert Park is handed over to the Archdiocese of Chicago.
2005 The Mission Promotion center of Kitchener, Ontario Canada, is moved to St Joseph Parish. The Comboni Missionaries consolidate pastoral ministry, mission promotion and vocation promotion with their acceptance of St Joseph Parish in Kitchner, ON Canada.
2005 St Martin de Porres, Chicago, Illinois, is accepted.
2007 Mr Tony Potts starts as provincial Finance Director.
2010 St Lucy Parish [Newark Archdiocese], New Jersey is accepted.
2010 The Pre Postulancy is re-opened at St Cecilia, Los Angeles, California.
2011 The International Theologate at Hyde Park, Chicago is closed.
2011 Fr Jose Manuel Baeza Gama takes office as Provincial.
2011 St Donatus Parish, Blue Island, Illinois, is handed over to the Archdiocese of Chicago.
2011 The Pre-Postulancy is transferred to the Provincial house in Cincinnati, Ohio
2011 New Jersey community moves to St. Lucy Parish; Montclair house is closed.
2012 The Postulancy starts in the Provincial house Cincinnati, Ohio